Saturday, December 23, 2006

Now Bring us Some Figgy Pudding!

Yes, it's Christmas, and as you can tell, the songs of the season are on my brain ... and bring some right here! We won't go until we get some, we won't go until we get some ..." Come to think of it, I don't want anyone to bring me figgy pudding, at Christmas or any other time of the year. It sounds pretty nasty!

I hope all you readers (2, 3? :)) have a wonderful Christmas, and can personally celebrate the truth of Christ's coming. Unfortunately, not everyone (probably the majority of the people around us) can. Just last week there was a "20/20" special on "The Mystery of Christmas". It was your typical secular documentary on Christianity, trying to debunk the key beliefs of Christianity -- the virgin birth, the deity of Christ, the accuracy of the Biblical account of Christ's birth, etc.. It was frustrating to watch. I kept yelling at the TV, but I don't think they heard me. I wondered, why don't they ever have a documentary on "The Mystery of Mohammed", or the "Really Weird Visions of Joseph Smith", and put other religions under the microscope of presumption and doubt? I think I know why -- because it's the truth in the Bible that threatens the strongholds of Satan. Satan doesn't want the lies of other religions to be attacked, but rather believed! Aside from my frustration, this show also strengthened my resolve to know Christ more than ever, to live a life that pleases Him and spread the truth.

I am truly thankful at Christmas for the gifts in my life -- most of all, a relationship of love and acceptance with Christ, something I do not at all deserve. I am also thankful for my dear wife, my cute kids, and the priviledge of serving Christ with the youth group and in other areas.

Thanks for reading! So, I leave you with the ending of "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" --

And though it's been said
Many times, many ways
Merry Christmas
To you.

8 Comments:

At December 25, 2006 , Blogger Kristen said...

Merry Christmas, Clint! You are an awesome youth leader and friend. I hope you're day is a good one.

 
At December 26, 2006 , Blogger Emily Marie said...

Merry Christmas!

 
At December 26, 2006 , Blogger B r i t t n e e said...

hehe i hopr you had a great Christmas!!! you and Kristen really deserve it after all you two do for our youth group! Merry Christmas!

... yeah really what IS figgy pudding??

 
At December 27, 2006 , Blogger Clint said...

I see you all want to know what figgy pudding is. So I Googled it, and found the recipe. It still sounds pretty nasty! But hey, if you're bored on your Christmas break, and you just happen to have a 1/2 lb. of dried figs lying around your house, make it and bring some for the rest of us to (not) taste.

Keep in mind with all these figs, you may not want to stray to far from the potty!! Anyway, here's the recipe. Enjoy ... if you dare!

--------------------------------

You may have heard or even sung the traditional song "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" and got to the bit about ".. Now bring us some figgy pudding" and wondered what it was all about. Here's your chance to find out.



Ingredients


4 oz plain flour
A pinch of salt
4 oz breadcrumbs
4 oz shredded suet
1 tsp. mixed spice
1 tsp. baking powder
3 oz dark soft brown sugar
8 oz chopped dried figs
Finely grated rind and juice of one lemon
2 tbs milk
2 beaten eggs


Method

Sift the salt and flour together, then mix with all the remaining dry ingredients. Add the figs, lemon rind and juice, milk and beaten eggs, and beat them well. The mixture should have a soft, dropping consistency. Put into a greased 2 pint pudding basin, cover securely and steam for 3 hours. It's probably best served with a heated golden syrup topping and a generous pouring of custard. Philistines may wish to try vanilla ice-cream.

 
At December 28, 2006 , Blogger B r i t t n e e said...

ew sounds kinda nasty but i'm still at a loss of what are Figs?

 
At December 30, 2006 , Blogger Kristen! said...

you rock . .yo

 
At January 01, 2007 , Blogger B r i t t n e e said...

what are figs?

figs? ANYONE

 
At January 02, 2007 , Blogger B r i t t n e e said...

sounds kinda gross

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home